Monday, August 31, 2009

David Murray : I'm a Jazzman

This evening ARTE will show at 22.20 PM (Paris time) a documentary by Jacques Goldstein on the (in)famous tenorsaxofonist. Famous or infamous? Well some people will define Mister Murray as a poseur. He never really struck me and i don't have a lot of recordings by the man. I saw him once life with an octet at De Singel in Antwerp (on piano there was D.D. Jackson and i was especially pleased to see James Spaulding) but even that wasn't an unforgettable concert.

It reminds me i have an mp3 version of DAVID MURRAY AND LOW CLASS CONSPIRACY FLOWERS FOR ALBERT West Wind 2039 (Germany CD - 1990). Will check that one out the coming days and see what the documentary might learn me on Mister Murray.

Don't ask me for a dvd copy for the simple reason i still use a good old VHS recorder ;-)

1 comment:

  1. not a fan of the man's later works (and especially all the latin stuff) either, but i really treasure those early octet albums (ming/home/murray's steps) which for me bring together free jazz and swing in a refreshing way.
    haven't seen the documentary yet, but i recorded it. let's check out whether i can find anything out about the "poseur"-part :)

    ReplyDelete